Natividad is a 172-bed acute care hospital owned and operated by Monterey County. As the public safety-net hospital, providing health care to the residents of Monterey County for over 132 years, Natividad provides health care access to all patients regardless of their ability to pay. The hospital operates with a medical staff of over 380 physicians and has several specialty clinics and outpatient primary care clinics operated by the Monterey County Health Department.
Natividad is a Level II Trauma Center providing the immediate availability of specialized personnel, equipment, and services to treat the most severe and critical injuries.
Natividad is the only teaching hospital on the Central Coast, through its affiliation with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). Recognized nationally and internationally as a model program, Natividad’s Family Medicine Residency Program is postgraduate training for physicians specializing in family medicine. About one-third of the graduates remain on the Central Coast to establish a practice.
Natividad is fully accredited by The Joint Commission and is governed by the Monterey County Board of Supervisors, under the guidance of a Board of Trustees.
Highlights of Natividad:
- Safety net hospitals like Natividad make up only 21 of California’s more than 450 hospitals and health care systems, provide 40% of all hospital care for California’s uninsured, and train more than half of all new doctors in the state.
- Natividad’s Level II Trauma Center is a vital local community service that saves lives and eliminates the need to fly critically injured patients to a distant trauma center.
- Natividad has more than 52,000 Emergency Department visits each year, one-third of which are children.
- Natividad’s comprehensive women’s health program delivers more than 2,200 newborns each year. It is a model birthing program, tailored to the individual needs of all women, including vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC).
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) affiliated with UCSF Benioff Children Hospital has a Level III designation from the California Department of Health, meets the strictest criteria, and is staffed and equipped to care for critically ill infants.
- The Sam Karas Acute Rehabilitation Center at Natividad offers the highest quality and most comprehensive level of rehabilitation health care for patients, aiming to promote independence and lessen the dependence on families and social care.
- Natividad’s bariatric weight loss program is equipped with the latest technology in weight loss surgery and is fully accredited by the American College of Surgeons MBSAQIP.
- Inpatient and outpatient surgical services are provided by highly-skilled surgeons and nursing staff in upgraded and modern operating suites. State-of-the-art laparoscopic surgeries available include: bariatric surgery, colon and rectal surgery, kidney surgery, Nissen fundoplication, cryoablation renal tumor, and Heller myotomy.
- The D’Arrigo Family Specialty Services offers a wide range of specialty care including: audiology, cardiology, colon rectal surgery, dermatology, gastroenterology, general surgery, hematology/oncology, nephrology, neurology, neurosurgery, OB/GYN, orthopedics, pediatric cardiology, pediatric gastroenterology, pediatric orthopedics, podiatry, pulmonary, sports medicine, trauma services, urology, and vascular thoracic surgery.
- Natividad specializes in family medicine offering comprehensive primary care and obstetrics, minor outpatient surgical procedures, vaccinations, well-child and adult care, physical exams, and referrals to specialty services.
- The Diabetes Education Center offers outpatient services to children and adults with diabetes Type 1, Type 2, gestational diabetes, and pre-diabetes. Outpatient services include individual counseling and education, group counseling and education, community presentations and outreach.
- Natividad houses the Sally P. Archer Child Advocacy Center & Bates-Eldredge Clinic, Monterey County’s only child maltreatment clinic. Professionals at the Center provide developmentally sensitive and legally sound child forensic interviews and forensic medical examinations to assist in the investigation and criminal prosecution of child abuse cases.
- Natividad offers the NIDO (Natividad Immunology Division Outpatient) Clinic, a comprehensive disease and HIV/AIDS clinic which provides primary care, HIV testing and counseling, laboratory, case management, health education, behavioral health, and outreach services.